Saturday 29 December 2018

More mappenings.


Crikey. I've been laying down a lot of brushes and not a lot of paint layers. So here's a catch up:

Shamsp3: "Age Of The No Penis Mapper"

Standard ID map inspired by veteran Quake coder Baker talking massive amounts of horseshit in this thread - just read his first post and you'll see what I mean. I made this map in his honour and he's not been seen since.




Video (also includes SM187 runthrough):



AD_DM2rmx_sham: "Acidophilous"

AD (Arcane Dimensions Quake mod) remix of the classic ID deathmatch map "Claustrophobolous". Inspired by prolific Quake promoter, videographer and chat channel magnate Dumptruck who was musing on the lack of AD maps and that DM2 was his favourite ID DM map, shortly before suggesting I leave his chat channel for too much swearing. I completed the map anyway. Based exactly on the DM2 map source which was a giant pain in the arse to do.







Xmasjam2_sham: "Chapel Perilous"

AD map for the 2018 Xmas Jam which restricts maps to having a 1024^3 unit playable area (i.e. quite a small box by Quake standards). This was a giant pain in the arse to get the layout working with my intention of having a labyrinthine progression that would feel a lot bigger than the map restriction, but once that was done I really enjoyed polishing it up and it's definitely my equal favourite along with Shamsp2.



 




SM189_sham: "The Dig"

Doom-textured speedmap that was a lot of fun to make and was part of a necessary break and refreshment while struggling with AD_Shamsp4. I'm chuffed with this one and people liked the funky gimmick.






AD_Shamsp4: "Annihilith Of Abhorration"

AD map with an industrial horror theme and Zerstorer textures. It was supposed to be for the Halloween Jam but I had serious mappers block and it took ages to get going. Another pain in the arse with the angulation I chose (the layout is two deathmatch sketches mashed together), but once again good fun to tweak it, and get some riotuous gameplay on the go.







That makes a total of 8 maps in 6 months. Not bad. I might take it easy for a bit, I certainly want to stick to much smaller, but more polished maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment